Monday, May 14, 2007

dragon beard candy




This candy dates back to along time ago where emperors in China had this as their candy and as time goes the expertise to make such delicacies are lost. This candy is bought in the Hong Kong airport where I consider is good enough but comparing to the master in Kowloon City 10 yrs ago, its not comparable. I still remember that time when this candy master still exists, he told me that making this specialty will injure your hands internally because you are using hidden force (meaning things that look easy actualy takes a lot of strength e.g needlework). The society has changed and the young generations don't appreciate crafty things, everything is machine made but for some things handmade is the best (e.g shoes). Its quite a shame that skills are slowly disappearing

To see how this candy is made, there is a nice video here www.bamboogarden.com.hk/resources/mov/master8mb.wmv

In the HK airport, there is the bamboo garden shop which includes the demonstration of making the dragon beard too ! I quite enjoy seeing that altho I've seen it like thousands of time... trust me everytime I see it I will say WOWWW (with mouths wide open)

Im guessing why this candy is called dragon beard its because when you bite half of it off, the strands of the candie falls on your mouth and chin thus looking like beard? Dragon prob is something the emperors wanted to call, everything in China has the word dragon and pheonix... so lame!

Ko.

3 comments:

dova said...

they are so yummy!
I think I know the master in kln city, too!
I love the peanut filling!

Unknown said...

dragon beard candy recalls my childhood memory....
but your nail in the photo looks more attractive ^_^

annie said...

u know wat i was hoping to notice the nail !!! good on you kay !! hahaha

oh man im so glad someone knows the master in kln city ... hes the best...