Sunday, October 28, 2007

how to dress like ther perfect couple by ashton kutcher

I heard a while ago Ashton Kutcher is writing for bazaar and I am thinking, what an odd pairing. But trust me, I came across this article he wrote in US bazaar, it was so cute and funny. and he let us in on a mystery abt men and fashion, enjoy!

It was another hot, humid iowa summer afternoon. My eight year old fingers managed to fasten a bottle rocket to the back of my GI Joe, using only scotch tape, while I watched ny sister, Tashua, dress up her Barbie doll for some fancy party that I hadn’t been invited to. I had a brief visual showdown with her nude, slightly arrogant Ken doll, who was a few plastic tidbits short of being a man. (his lack of man parts seemed only fair, given I had been solely disappointed weeks before to find that Barbie herself lacked the answers I’d been looking for.) The GI Jow launch was a rousing success and Ken shuddered in fear, knowing he was next. I went in for the swipe. But Ken was snatched up just in time by my sister, who was a little bit bigger, faster and bitchier than I was.
“you cant blow up Ken,” she said. “he’s coming to the party”.
“ But how’s he gonna go to the party naked?” I asked.
Little did I know that I was about to receive a sage piece of fashion advice from my greatest adversary. “barbie gets dressed first, then the shoes , then Ken then the bag,” she said with a smirk. “ and if you blow up Ken, I’ll kick u in the nuts.” Enough said. Ken lived.

I believe there’s wisdom with which women enter this world that men will never understand. Its like how a woman can cry for no reason, then an hour later still be crying. But now it’s her man’s fault, because he didn’t console her while she was crying for no reason. While this remains a mystery, in the summer of 1986, thanks to Barbie’s party preparation. I was let in on one of the greatest female fashion secrets of the modern era. I realized that when it comes to getting dressed, men are a little bit more important than handbags but less important than shoes. At any rate, we are merely accessories.

In a day and age when most American men would rather be blowing something up than getting spiffed up for some social occasion, I imagine getting your significant other to wear even a suit can seem like a Sisyphean task, let alone matching said suit to your outfit so you actually look like a couple. Here a few insights that might make this feasible.

If you got dressed up and asked your guy how you looked, how would you feel if he replied, “ You look tough”? Likewise, guys don’t like to be told they look nice, pretty, or cute or they clean up well. We want to feel dirty, rugged and most important that you feel safe when you are in our company. So when your guy finally tries something that you like, tell him that he looks like James Bond or Tony Montana. Feel free to be even more vague than that: “wow that suit makes you look like that hot football player!” Or just ask him if he feel like he can still throw a punch in the outfit, just in case he needs to protect you. Trust me, say sany of this and tou wont be able to get him to take the damn suit off. Before you know it, he’ll be wearing an Armani tux to league night at the bowling alley.

You never want people to notice your accessories. When you walk into a room, heads should turn. The desired effect is for everyone to say or think that you look beautiful. If people comment on your shoes or bag, they’re not appreciating the entire essence that is you. If you go to a museum and see a statue on a podium, you don’t want people to say, “wow, what a stunning podium. Where can I get one of those?” Your entire ensemble should be so captivating, so cohesive, that one particular thing cant be singled out. It supports you,; you don’t support it. In this same way, your man should not upstage you. He is here to highlight you.

Men’s clothes, for the most part, are simple but looking like stylish couple is in the details. When you go shopping for Lanvin flats to match your Marc Jacobs dress perfectly, swing by the men’s store and pick him up a shirt tie, vest or sweater that works with your palette. Because if there’s one things that men hate more than getting dressed, it’s going shopping. This may also helps us forget how much money you managed to spend due to that “incredible sale!” that oddly never seems to end. But make sure that look isn’t too matchy matchy; you don’t want to seem like you planned it all out. Youe best bet is to match the man gear to that great new Balenciaga bag that you’re planning to carry. If your bag works with your outfit, so will he. Always make sure that your jewelry is in sync that he is not more or less dressed up than you are.

A word of warning, however: Don’t tell him that you’re doing any of this. Just tell him he looks like he can kick Ken’s ass.


by ashton kucther, from US bazaar September 2007

2 comments:

annie said...

i wouldnt have imagined he wrote this! its pretty good and funny! thanks for typing it up! hmmmm he makes me realise i have been doing all the wrong things !

annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.