Sunday, September 16, 2007

tabou





this has got to be my favourite french bistro.
Sometimes you have the nouvelle cuisine fancy stuff but sometimes you just want comfort food that's simple and well made.

for starters, it's a dish with humble beginnings - tripes lyonnaise (cow stomach)
when a culture had a very long history and some of their food is born out of hardship, these bits of offcuts could have meant survival, people think of inventive and creative way of making the worst into the best, it's truly admirable. this dish have quite a sour taste and it reminded me of how chinese handle tripes. I suppose the sourness is used to mask the flavour of the tripe. It was delicious to soak up the sauce with baguette!

for main, I had the very simple but very delicious steak frites, you can choose a range of sauces like bernaise, cafe de paris (which I had, think it's made of anchovies, butter and parsley, it's so nice with chips), truffle and a few other sauces. I am not a fan of shoestring chips (cos it reminds me of mickey Ds) but the chips here were not oily and very crisp, don't even need ketchup, only had sea salt and black pepper with it.

wine list was very good, too, we had a french rose, half a bottle for $23, quite reasonable.

to end, it has to be a creme brulee and a strong coffee
(which explains why I cannot sleep last night)

it's the simple pleasures that makes me so happy!

D.

ps. sorry abt a long blog with crappy images, damn why do all restaurants have such dim lighting these days?

6 comments:

annie said...

my stomach is growling so bad cos i didnt have braeakfast and now i see this blog!

Dova & Ko said...

are u doing another viet one?
the pho looks so good, u know I hv a craving for pho no matter I see an image of it or not! haha

annie said...

yeah i still got 2 more viet ones to do, one is the pork roll and the other is the flower pot! and then i got a hk one to do so there will be update from me frequently!

will do a viet one tonite!

Anonymous said...

hey gals, just here to give you some encouragement!! ur blog is looking v. good...but awful lot abt food tho..which is unfair for those unfortunate few who cant get decent food in london...where is this french bistro? is it new? dunno when i'll be in syd to try this one but you will be gone then too...

annie said...

finally sina ur here to give us a good long comment!!

yeah we do a lot on food cos thats all i have been doing hahah i actually have another vietnam one to go on food and then another 2 on food in hk !

but im planning to write abt this cleanser i bought which i think is good so that there is sth else on the blog hahah

u found any special places in london?? u can do a guest blog for us!!

dova said...

sina, this bistro is on crown.
dun scare me like that abt london!
I expect u to bring me to a good indian restaurant when I am over!