Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Goodbye Saigon !!




This will be the last part of my Vietnam special so I saved the best for last.

The Flower Pot
Yes I was actually eating flowers!! This is how this dish was prepared:
1)Soup base - tomato and starfruit soup base
2) King prawns - very fresh ones
3) Flowers
4) Rice noodles
I found a technique for eating this which enhances the taste. Cook the prawn, eat the body and leave the head inside for a while. Put some rice noodles and soup into your bowl. Eat both the noodles and flowers together, then drink the soup. You will have the taste of prawns, tomato and starfruit in the flowers and in the noddles. Drinking the soup at the end IS A MUST! Take the prawn head out and slurp out all the juice thats in the head (gotta make that slurpy sound hehe) You will find the juice in the head is just magnificent!

The Chinese saying for food is: there are 4 essentials in a dish and that is: "colour, smell, outlook and taste" I think this dish addresses each of those very very well! I loved this restaurant the most cos I have never tried nor seen this anywhere else

An Vien
178A Hai Ba Trung St District 1 HCMC

Ko.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it because you gals have been writing constantly? I found that your writing has improoved very much and you've made a real interesting article about this pot meal! I think you and dodo should definately put this more into public! I check these almost every week and i enjoyed every bit of it! seriously!

annie said...

thanks for your comment di... seriously we dont know who reads this cos apart from you and ourselves and occasionally some others!

i dunno abt my writing has imporoved tho... the more i write the more i feel my english has gone down the drain ! its really sad!