Wednesday, April 18, 2007

bedtime stories







I don't seem to have any recollection of my parents reading me bedtime stories when I was growing up. Maybe I am deprived of it since childhood ( and i can never seem to finish a book!), I have developed an appreciation of children's books. (i even had this listed under my interests in my resume!).

I kinda came across this series of children's book by czech illustrator - Miroslav Sasek at ariel in the rocks. Ever since I bought my first one called "this is venice", I was hooked. I was looking forward to read more worldly adventures in the comforts of my bed. "this is Paris" followed. when i finally saw a copy of "this is hong kong" at the ariel window, I didnt think and just went in and bought it! I see the kind of hk back in the 50s, like in the shaw brother's movies. That is the time when my parents were growing up, rickshaws, queen pier, pedder st, ladies in cheong sam...it was very accurate account of sasek's travel, with witty remarks through it, too.

In every "this is..." series the inside cover and back inside cover will have Sasek enerting a country as himself and at the back, it will show him exiting the country and how he has been changed, say if it was paris, he will exit with a stripy top and of course, a beret.

How cute is that?

by D.

No comments: