Monday, July 30, 2007

bejing (more like peking duck) special

Da Dong






Made in China



Qianjude

Beijing was fun despite the traumor on the flight back... I spent 2000 bucks extra off my budget and I AM NOT IMPRESSED!! however I guess when I think back to the Peking ducks i've had, im happy again. Theres been lots of saying that beijing peking ducks are overrated, Hong Kong are better etc etc... actually I think the total opposite. In Hong Kong, they just slice up the whole peking duck so every piece will have the skin and meat, and flavoured with sweet sause with cucumber and shallots and the bread.

Beijing peking ducks actually is like a 3 course meal, the duck seems blown up like a balloon hence on the breast of the duck, there this piece of skin blown up and detached from their meat, its like a A4 sheet of crunchy skin, this part will be dish 1. Dish 2 will be duck drum sticks sliced up so hence the meat will be especially tendor. Dish 3 will be cutting out all the remains of the body and lastly dish 4 which i didnt touch is the duck head. My favourite was dish one where the skin was crunchy like chips, these chips was juiced up with duck oil.... Im lover of duck so this was heavenly....

Beijing has more side dishes to have the duck with. Cucumbers and shallots and sweet sauce obviously the main ingredient. They also included sugar and garlic paste which I thought enhanced the taste, I think I will do this the next time I eat Peking duck in Hong Kong.

Generally, the duck was juicier and more fresh, like you know how when you eat meat, it gives a bounce when you bite it?

Restaurant 1: Da Dong - was recommended by lots of people but rate it the least, the bread was too stiff and the meat wasnt as fresh. THe duck soup which followed was the best!
Address: Dongcheng district

Restaurant 2: Made in China - this is the heaven of god peking duck! THey actually sliced up a very big dish of crunchy skin and the thickness was just right. It was around 4mm-5mm. I didnt like their soup tho.... by the way I saw diane von furstenburg there ... hhehe
Address: Grand Hyatt Wangfujing, not expensive at all !

Restaurant 3: Qianjude - this is the most famous place in Beijing for ducks, no bookings allowed. People said this place is the worst but I thought it was quite good! Only thing I have to complain about is the service and slicing the duck performance was quite sloppy!
Address: Wangfujing street

Eating 1 whole duck each nite, I have now lost my voice and dont mention about my pimples, they are everywhere!

Ko

3 comments:

dova said...

looks so yummy! My mouth is watering from now! yes duck is gooooood, esp duck fat!

annie said...

i know i lovvvvvvvvvve duck fat too!! u know seriously if u love duck then u gotta go to grand hyatt to try their duck !! its really the best!! i tried to book again for the next day and it was fully booked and i asked how long to wait and it said no more waiting... 2nd round is full as well! WTF?????

Anonymous said...

cool pictures gal! ur really using your camera well now...im still not a big fan for peking duck especially Quanjude...reckon even KFC tastes better but mayb just me : p